Because it can be confusing when determining what material should be captioned, we have created a captioning decision chart to help in making captioning decisions.
Post-Production Captioning Decision Chart
*This addresses post-production captioning, but we have also provided a Captioning Priority List for LIVE captioning.
Captioning Priority List
Captioning is REQUIRED in the following scenarios:
- When requested as an accommodation through SDS.
- When a video is posted on an olemiss.edu or UM-affiliated website.
- When a video is posted on UM-affiliated social media.
- When a video is used as part of a fully online course.
Captioning is RECOMMENDED in the following scenarios:
- For video used in high-enrollment, required courses.
- For video used across multiple semesters and/or multiple classes.
- Any video used in the first week or two of classes.
Captioning is considered a LOW PRIORITY in the following scenarios:
- When lecture capture is used to post a lecture that is a review of a face-to-face class, will only be available for one semester, and no accommodation request for captioning.
- Any archived materials unless by request.