Skip to content
- Does the document file name not contain spaces and/or special characters?
- Is the document file name concise, generally limited to 20-30 characters, and does it make the contents of the file clear?
- Have the document properties for Title, Author, Subject (AKA Description), Keywords, Language, and Copyright Status been completed?
- Have you set your document language to English?
- Have track changes been accepted or rejected and turned off?
- Have comments been removed and formatting marks been turned off?
- Does the document utilize recommended fonts (i.e., Open Sans, Gentium Book, Times New Roman, Verdana, Arial, Tahoma, Helvetica, or Calibri)?
- Are heading styles organized in a hierarchal and logical fashion, with consecutive headings (i.e., no missing heading levels)?
- Is the list style being used, as opposed to manually typed characters (e.g. Hyphens, numbers, or graphics)?
- Is content clear and concise?
- Is all text logical in the Outline View?
- Do all URLs contain descriptive hyperlinks (i.e., avoid generic phrases like “click here”; instead, use phrases that let users know about the content of the linked page prior to selecting it)?
- Is the color contrast ratio between foreground text and background color sufficient?
- Do all images, grouped images, and non-text elements that convey information have meaningful alternative-text descriptions?
- Do complex images (i.e., charts and graphs) have descriptive text near the image (perhaps as a caption or long description)?
- Is the document free of scanned text-heavy images (i.e., avoid text content contained in images that disappear when images are not available)?
- If color is used to emphasize important text, is there is an alternate, compliant method used as well?
- Have you provided alternatives for or avoided use of sensory information (e.g., shape, size, color, visual location, orientation, sound, etc.)?
- If a video–Does the video or animation contain synchronized captioning?
- If an animation–Does the animation have a text equivalent?